Why some people feel so down during the Winter: Weather woes!


This week’s blog topic really resonates with me and I thought it was important to share and discuss. Being a native of the south, warm sunny days are far from sparse. Don’t get me wrong, we get our share of rainy or gloomy days, but the winters back home were far different than the winters I am now experiencing in my new location. My first winter further North has definitely come with some down sides. I had been pretty miserable the whole winter last year lol. All I wanted to do is wrap myself up in my comforter and stay in the bed. So, being that this isn’t something that I experienced during winters back home, I thought I should do a little research around how the seasons affect your mood. 

What has been coined as “winter blues” is apparently fairly common according to the National Institutes of Health. Winter blues are marked by feeling more down, sad, or less energized than usual. There are some people who experience seasonal depression, but what I am experience feels much more like winter blues. 

There are a number of things I have been doing to combat my winter woes:

Keeping up with the gym.
As much as I don’t feel like it, I get up and go to the gym on my dedicated gym days. Working out really makes me feel better about myself and gives me energy for the rest of the day (I’m a morning gym person). Plus, once spring comes around I don’t want to regret all those days I skipped the gym. 

Self-care days.
As you all probably know, I am a huge advocate of doing small things frequently to take care of myself mentally and physically. I especially through in a massage or hot bath soak in during the winter. 

Attending all of the holiday parties I get an invite to.
I am super quick to decline an invite lol. I prefer to be alone or alone with my favorite person. However, during my winter woes, I found being alone was maybe making it a little worse. So, all 3 of the holiday parties I was invited to and the company gatherings I received a calendar invite for, I decided to go to. 

Picked up a hobby and set out to pursue my interests.
I picked up blogging and decided to actively pursue an online store. This has kept me busy and entertained since I started it. Your hobby doesn’t have to be as extensive as mine, but maybe some experimental cooking or sewing can take your mind off things.

If you are experiencing the winter blues, be sure to keep an eye out for other symptoms. Also, if your down days seem to be lasting for quite some time, consider seeking some professional advice.

Comments

Popular Posts