Little things you can do for your mental health



Mental health is a sensitive topic for many people. It can be hard to admit when you need a self-esteem or mood boost. Finding little ways to take care of your emotional/psychological self can really help in coping with random (or in some cases ridiculously reoccurring) life punches or unexplained bad days. I have found a few things that have helped me over the years. Some of which I do religiously and some every now and then.

What works for me may not work for you, but if you are in need of some pick-me-up ideas, here are a few:

  1. Long hot baths
A long hot bath can be both relaxing and do wonders for your skin if you add a little oil. Take an evening to take care of yourself and start it off with a long hot bath and maybe a glass of wine.

  1. Body scrubs and oils
Body scrubs and oils are both beneficial to your skin and to your mental health. The aromas from these products can provide stress relief and other aromatherapy.

  1. A good night’s rest
Many of us aren’t getting the sleep we need. Even if we are getting the full 8 hours of sleep, some of are are getting a restful night sleep. Before bed, try a long hot bath with added oil and a scrub and detach from all of your electronics. Getting a good night’s sleep can make a huge difference in your mood.

  1. Journaling/Planning
One of my closest friends is a big journaler. Going back to read old journal entries when the going is rough, can help to realize how far you’ve come and to look forward to what is coming. I am a big planner. When I am feeling down, I plan my next day, week, sometimes month out. The next day I wake up and set out to execute everything on my planned list. I feel so much better when I have accomplished things.

Life can be a little rough sometimes. And sometimes it’s not even anything we can put our finger on that’s causing our down times; finding a way to combat these times can really help. Do something small for yourself every day or at least once a week!

Comments

Popular Posts